Randy Couture vs Fedor Emelianenko Never HappenedPublished on June 21st, 2012 12:30 pm EST
Dana White also talks about putting on the "big fights" that fans want to see.
Dana (and the UFC) is pretty good at putting fights together, but there are a few really big fights that haven't happened over the years due to injuries, contract disputes and other reasons.
Here are five of the biggest fights that haven't happened due to various reasons:
1. Randy Couture vs Fedor Emelianenko. This is THE big fight that everyone wanted to see that never happened. The UFC tried twice to ink Fedor to a deal, but it just never happened. Fedor's side has said that the UFC's proposed terms were too restrictive, while the UFC counters that Fedor's camp was far too greedy.
Couture and Fedor would have been a dream match, and both were at the pinnacles of their careers when the match was being talked about. These days, Fedor is closing out his career and Randy is retired. This fight will never happen, except in video games.
2. Fedor Emelianenko vs Brock Lesnar. Back when Brock Lesnar was still seemingly invincible, the UFC made another effort to sign Fedor to a deal. At the time, the stars seemed to be aligning and Dana White seemed confident that Fedor would soon be joining the fold.
Fedor was still considered the top heavyweight in the world at the top, and Brock was coming off of his smashing of Frank Mir at UFC 100.
The plan, according to Dana White, was to host the Brock Lesnar / Fedor event at Cowboys Stadium in front of 100,000 people. The UFC and Fedor weren't able to reach a deal, Fedor went to Strikeforce and Lesnar is now retired.
3. Anderson Silva vs Georges St. Pierre. Two champions that have been champions for years and years. The world's best striker against one of the world's best wrestlers.
This was a match that everybody wanted to see, but it hasn't happened yet and will likely never happen.
The biggest roadblock to this match taking place? The disparity in weight.
In order for this fight to be fair, GSP would have to gain a considerable amount of muscle, as Silva walks around about 20 pounds heavier than GSP. GSP seems to be content in the Welterweight division, and moving up to Middleweight to battle Silva (and quite possibly get destroyed by Silva) would be a risky career move for the Canadian fighter.
This is another fight that will likely never take place.
4. Fedor Emelianenko vs Alistair Overeem. It appeared as though this fight might actually happen as the two fighters were seemingly on a collision course for each other in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix. Unfortunately, Fedor lost to Antonio Silva and the dream fight never happened.
Overeem is now in the UFC, which means that the fight will likely never happen.
5. Georges St. Pierre vs Nick Diaz. Title vs title - the UFC's Welterweight champion vs Strikeforce's Welterweight champion. The trash-talking Diaz vs the respectful and gentlemanly GSP.
This would have been a massive fight for MMA fans, but unfortunately it never happened due to some weird behavior from Nick Diaz. After no-showing a press conference, Diaz was pulled from the fight and replaced by Carlos Condit. Georges St. Pierre would subsequently blow out his knee in training, and that fight never happened as well.
Click Here To Join Our UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs Gastelum Betting Mailing List