Jose Aldo Plans Return to Training after Suffering Rib Injury

Published on June 29th, 2015 8:22 pm EST

The fate of the mega-fight between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo will likely be determined on Tuesday, as Featherweight champion Jose Aldo is planning on attempting a return to training.

The status of the UFC 189 main event has been up in the air ever since Jose Aldo reportedly suffered a rib injury during a training session earlier this month. There have been conflicting reports over the severity of the injury - some media outlets have been reported it as a fractured rib, while other media outlets (and the UFC) have stated that it is just a bruise.

The UFC recently said that the McGregor/Aldo fight is still on, though there is a contingency plan in place. Chad Mendes has been instructed to train and make weight for a potential fight against McGregor just in case Aldo is forced to pull out. According to reports, Mendes will be paid regardless of whether or not he fights.

-

Jose Aldo has reportedly been held out of training since suffering the injury. Aldo has apparently been in a severe amount of pain, as his coach has said that he has even had trouble breathing properly.

To me, this doesn't sound like Aldo will be healthy enough to compete at UFC 189, but maybe Aldo will make a miracle recovery and be able to participate.

Conor McGregor, for his part, has promised not to target the injured rib of Aldo. "I'm going for his chin", McGregor was reported to have said during a recent workout session.

-

A McGregor/Mendes fight will be compelling as well, but it certainly won't have the same level of intrigue as a McGregor/Aldo bout.


Click Here To Join Our UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs Lee Betting Mailing List